Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Iron King

 The Iron King
(The Iron Fey #1)
By: Julie Kagawa
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart
The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
I remember seeing this book in stores when it first came out. I thought it sounded awesome, but for some reason never bought it or got it from the library. I kind of forgot about it until I came across the series at the library a few weeks ago.

I liked the book. I'm into the fae/fey theme, especially after reading the Fever series. That doesn't mean the two series are anything alike, because they aren't. This series is aimed at teens, which no longer includes me. Fever would most definitely be rated R, no doubt about it.

I respect how Kagawa created this whole new world. Writing fiction is hard, especially when you've creating a new world to go with it. Yes, Puck and a few characters are based off A Midsummer Night's Dream. Still, Kagawa must have done an insane amount of research and organizing. Yet I found myself getting annoyed, sometimes. I don't know how every mythical creature is supposed to look. I felt more description was needed in multiple parts of the book.

Of course, a big part of this series is the whole Team Puck vs. Team Ash. I don't even know. I was Team Puck from the beginning. What did people see in Ash that I missed? Is it because some girls are into the bad boy? Because in the majority of this book, I just didn't find him likable. I mean, let's take a look:
Meghan: You tried to kill me!
Ash: ...you just happened to be there. But yes, if I'd had the shot, I would have taken it.
And let's not forget:
Meghan: What will happen then?
Ash: I'll kill you.
And this is within the first ten minutes of meeting him. Call me crazy, but I don't find death threats attractive.

I also thought the whole Meghan and SOMEONE falling in love was just incredibly fast. It felt more like Kagawa said they had fallen in love, and that was it. But I didn't see it. I thought the relationship was incredibly shallow.

Now, because this book is the first in a series, I feel I have to mention the others as well. But don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything. I'm just going to say, I'm glad them. Book two was meh, but I really think book three made the series worth it. (Even if book four was forced and I kind of hated it).

Three and a half stars.






No comments:

Post a Comment