Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Unbroken

Unbroken
By: Melody Grace
 "Mom always told me there are two kinds of love in this world: the steady breeze, and the hurricane. Emerson Ray was my hurricane...."

Juliet McKenzie was an innocent eighteen-year old when she spent the summer in Cedar Cove—and fell head over heels in love with Emerson. Complicated, intense Emerson, the local bad boy. His blue eyes hid dark secrets, and just one touch could set Juliet ablaze. Their love was demanding and all-consuming, but when summer ended, tragedy tore them apart. Juliet swore she’d never go back, and she’s kept that promise… Until now.

Four years later, Juliet’s done her best to rebuild the wreckage of her shattered life. She’s got a great boyfriend, and a steady job planned after she graduates. Returning to Cedar Cove to pack up her family’s beach house to prepare it for sale, Juliet is determined that nothing will stand in the way of her future. But one look from Emerson, and all her old desire comes flooding back. He let her go once, but this time, he’s not giving up without a fight. And Emerson fights dirty.

A heartbreaking history. An unstoppable passion. Torn between her past and future, Juliet struggles to separate love from desire. But will they find a way to overcome their tragic secrets—together? And after so much damage has been done, can a love remain unbroken? 


Unbroken (Cedar Cove, #1)
I heard really great things about this book, and started reading it immediately after seeing it on Goodreads. In fact, I put another book on hold because I was so excited about it.

I'm kind of disappointed.

I think this book could have been pretty great, if only there was more about Emerson and Juliet actually falling in love. I hate when I read a book and it's all, "Years ago they were in love but a misunderstanding drove them apar, but believe me: They were epic. Toooootally in love. Take my word for it."

I don't want to take the authors word for it. I want to read about the couple first meeting (which was in the book, via flashback). I want to experience them falling in love (not in the book). I want to root for the couple, then feel heartbroken when they break up. And I want to stay up hours after I should have gone to bed, reading and waiting for them to finally realize they should be together. I just didn't care about Juliet and Emerson, though.

Yeah, Emerson was painted as a total hottie. But if Juliet ended up with him or her boyfriend, I probably would have cared the exact same amount. Which, sadly, wasn't much.

I hear Melody Grace is releasing another book, Untouched, which will be the prequel to Unbroken. That will be Juliet and Emerson falling in love. But why make it two books? Why not one great one, instead of two decent ones? Maybe when Untouched comes out, I'll read Unbroken again right after it. Until then, two stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment